A wedding licence shows anyone doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) you have actually met most of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a document that is 2-part. The top component is a Registration of Marriage together with bottom level may be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) should be fond of the wedding officiant which is doing your marriage. This is certainly a appropriate document and needs to be kept in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate instead of a wedding licence.
There aren’t any residency or citizenship demands.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta as well as the date a wedding licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not necessary.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for a few months through the date it really is granted.
A marriage can take put the exact same day a wedding licence is given. There’s absolutely no waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
If you’re currently hitched, you simply can’t submit an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever obtaining the marriage licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek the advice of a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm several affidavits
- It really is an offence to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you can not:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be regarding one another being a grandparent, moms and dad, son or daughter, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched can be an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you needs to be 18 years old or older.
If you’re more youthful than 18 yrs. Old, you can easily make an application for a wedding licence if all of your moms and dads and appropriate guardians permission towards the marriage licence being granted, unless other conditions use. Seek advice from a registry representative for complete details.
If you should be more youthful than 16 years old, you can not marry in Alberta.
If a person regarding the couple would not have appropriate ID, that person might provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You can not be currently hitched (either to one another or some other person).
Your marital that is legal status be among the after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings will become necessary; the divorce proceedings document supplied should be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that says a wedding is dissolved in X period of time just isn’t appropriate as there is no way to learn in the event that last papers had been filed or even the breakup had been contested through that time.
- Divorce proceedings documents which are not in English must certanly be translated; talk with a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification associated with dead partner is perhaps not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status papers are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be issued through a court, the individuals marital status reverts back into just just just what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took destination. The last marital status may need to be proven. For instance:
- If the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings needs to be supplied along with a copy associated with court ordered annulment
- If the past marital status is never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment needs to be supplied. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are maybe perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, each regarding the individuals who can be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter becomes necessary, its your obligation to deliver one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English plus the language needing translation
As soon as the registry representative worker issuing the marriage licence is proficient when you look at the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few obtaining a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There was a $40 federal government cost for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step One. Make certain you are eligible to try to get a married relationship licence
The wedding should be happening in Alberta over the following three months.
Before using, make certain you as well as your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Bring your appropriate ID to you to have the marriage licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance divorce or separation papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify just exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Visit a registry representative together with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
Once you apply
A married relationship licence is granted as you wait.
If you fail to have all the given information and papers required, the method is likely to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes could be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes needs to be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied once the marriage licence ended up being granted.
Relate genuinely to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory vacations) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5